Friday, September 19, 2008

Happy Anniversary to US!

Jay and I have been married for 13 years today! Where have the years gone? Now that we are back here living in Logan it seems like just yesterday that we were dating and falling in love. Jay and I met in the fall of 1994. He was starting his last year at USU majoring in Horticulture, I was working in my first salon, UpperCuts, on Main Street in Logan. He was the Family Home Evening Coordinator in our singles ward and I was one of the "moms" over one of the groups.
We met in Aug/Sept, but didn't really even notice each other much until after we returned to school/work in January. We more than noticed each other when our Bishop had a meeting to get us all excited about planning fun FHE's for the new semester. We played the game where you tell two truths and a lie...nobody could believe that I was the 3rd of 13 children and thought that was my outlandish lie, but it's TRUE. I noticed how complimentary Jay was of his FHE partner and what a nice guy he was. I thought it would be nice to get to know him better.
The next night our ward had a dinner and square dance...we were in the same square and flirted as we passed each other. A few days later Jay called me using his calling as an excuse and we ended up being on the phone for over an hour. He came up with a couple of his roommates and asked if we were going to the USU basketball game the next night. I wasn't planning on it, but when I got home from work it sounded like fun, so I called him to see if he was still going. I wasn't a student, so we tried to get me in using my roommates activity card which was promptly taken away and Jay paid my way in and then sweet talked the girl into giving it back to him. Smooth talker!
We started seeing each other every day after that. He would stop by on my day off after class. I would make him dinner, we went to a few concerts (Celtic Night on St. Patrick's Day was our favorite...oh! and dressing up and going to the Symphony), I watched him play his softball games and bandaged up his knee that wouldn't ever quite heal. The more time I spent with him, the more I was hooked. After only two weeks of hanging out with him I knew I was in trouble.
I told him I loved him the night before he went to Seattle over Spring Break with the Plant Science Club. I thought I had completely scared him away and that I wouldn't see him much after that, but after being introduced at Stake Conference from the pulpit as Jay's "special friend" (his dad was the Stake President), and spending some time with his family, he decided I might be a good risk. He proposed on Memorial Day 1995 on our way back to Logan after spending the day in Pleasant Grove with his family. When we told his parents, they said, "Good, if he didn't propose, we were going to."

We were married in the Salt Lake Temple at 9:30am on Sept. 19, 1995. We had a lovely luncheon at SLCC (which was where I graduated from) hosted by Jay's parents. Ran to our tiny basement apartment in Sugar House long enough to curl my hair again and were off to the Lion House Garden for our reception. I loved every single thing about our wedding day. The only thing I felt bad about was that people stood in line for 2 hours at our reception to see us...I think the whole Taylorsville Stake came and half of Salt Lake and Kamas too!

Jay is the perfect husband for me. He completes me and balances me out in every way. He is the most amazing person...so kind and considerate of others and their needs. He just keeps getting better as the years go by too. I know we wouldn't have survived this last pregnancy and having a baby again after 5 years without all he did to keep everything going while I was so sick and otherwise out of commission. He works so hard in all that he does and makes sure that everything gets done and done right. I love you, Jay, Happy Anniversary!

This picture was taken 2 years ago at my sister's wedding, I guess we should probably get another one sometime soon, I'm just usually behind the camera!

5 comments:

Dave and Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary to a great couple! We are sure glad you found each other!

Gina said...

I can't believe you have been married for 13 years - it was 7 for us on the 7th - time sure does fly by! I'm so glad you blog and I can keep updated on you and your family - they are beautiful!

Johnny and Kaley said...

Happy Anniversary! Sorry I'm slightly behind! I hope you two were able to celebrate after Jay got back. You guys are the greatest couple and the BEST example for Johnny and I. We love you both and wish you the best!

Shauna said...

What a great story! I had never heard how you two met and fell inlove. Happy Anniversary!! (a little late:)

Heather said...

HAPPY anniversary! you guys are soo darling!!! love seeing the pics at the temple!! SO darling!